I don’t know what valve I need to fix dripping tap?

To fix dripping Tap:

Usually your Kitchen Tap is dripping from either (1) the spout or (2) where the spout meets the base.

To fix dripping Tap from the Spout then it is most likely that you need to change the valves (one or both) and / or the brass bush ring (but usually its just the valve) hot or cold. Here is also a quick tip to assist in identifying which valve needs changing : How to tell which Valve is dripping – Hot or Cold? (but the ultimate test is to turn off each water feed in turn to your tap to establish 100% which valve is causing the drip).

If your tap is dripping where the spout meets the base then it is likely that you need to replace the O Rings (see below for O Rings).

In order to identify which  Valve you have that needs replacing, and here is our Guide 7 Easy Steps to Replace a  Kitchen Valve  we will need you to EMAIL the following to us:

1. 4 measurements
2. Picture of your Kitchen Tap showing full tap i.e. spout, body etc

Here are the 4 measurements that we require:

San Marco Valve Blueprint
San Marco Valve Blueprint
  • Length of Valve from top to bottom (brass) in mm
  • Diameter at thread: in mm
  • Number of splines – always an even number, e.g. 20, 28…
  • Nut (below splines) Height: in mm


Please make sure that when you have removed your valve, that the brass bush wasn’t removed as well (this surrounds the valve inside the tap) and you will need this for the new valve. If you find it impossible to separate the two we do supply brass bushes as well for San Marco Valves. For more information on removing the brass bush, see here.

The picture of your tap will help us identify which O Rings you require.

Don’t forget to also email us a picture of your Tap.

Email all details to sales@tapsandsinksonline.co.uk


Please note that parts might be modified by the manufacturers over the years of a product being made. Therefore while we can guarantee that the parts we supply are as per the technical specifications sheets provided by the manufacturers, we can not always guarantee that a part will fit an older version of a product. All spare parts that do not fit can be returned for a refund but we do not refund associated postage costs.

Posted in: Helpful Tips, How to identify which Valve you need, Plumbing Guides

Leave a Comment (8) ↓


  1. Rik pugh September 14, 2019

    Hi, I have a Carron Opus tap, it’s leaking from where the spout joins the base, so I guess it’s the Omring, however, I cannot get spout off ! I have loosened threaded cap and can lift spout about an inch but it will not pull all the way out !

    Any advice would be welcome


  2. a plumpton February 6, 2017

    I have Franke Fadura CPDX 624 Brown the K1007Ftaps the spout leaks at joint with sink how do I stop it ?

    • Alice February 6, 2017

      hi Alan
      can you email me a picture of the tap – or get the customer to email a picture to us? Am i right in thinking that the leak is NOT where the spout meets the base – but rather the leak is underneath – ?This can still mean an O Ring but could also mean that the fittings have come loose. I see that this sink was orignally available in colours including Capuchino – and we have Capucino Taps (two tone cream and brown – like the coffee) in stock if also of any interest to you if this Tap (I don’t know the age but I am guessing if its brown its old) cannot be fixed.

  3. Alice September 28, 2015

    HI Brian, as per the Guide that I posted the link to above ‘ 7 easy steps to replace a Kitchen Tap Valve’ the first thing that you have to do is to turn OFF your hot and cold mains water.
    Secondly, yes, the part you need is the FR9146

  4. Brian Fitch September 28, 2015

    Thank you for reply, just to clarify I do not have to turn off Hot and mains cold water, and part required would be a FR9146.

  5. Brian Fitch September 25, 2015

    My Franke tap Triflow Trend LD chrome tap is leaking from the (green) drinking water spout. Am I correct in saying that I only have to turn off the valve to the filter unit for isolation, which I do to replace the filter, and that part required would be a FR9146 cold valve.


Leave a Comment